2 Croton Point Avenue
Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520

Tel: (914) 862-0844
Fax: (914) 862-0879
Scenario 1:
Has your child been diagnosed by a physician or psychologist? If not you should see a neurologist, psychiatrist or your pediatrician (preferably a developmental/behavioral pediatrician), or a psychologist, who has experience diagnosing and treating attention deficit disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADD/ADHD) which is what this scenario suggests. Chances are this possibility has been mentioned to you by your child's teacher even though the teacher probably did not specifically mention this condition (a teacher does not "diagnose"). There is treatment for this condition. If the physician makes this diagnosis and prescribes medication and/or other treatment follow the course of treatment. If the problem resolves, end of story.

If such a diagnosis has been made and the treatment has not corrected the situation, and the school has done nothing to accommodate, the next step would to request of the school district that your child be evaluated pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) with a view towards a possible Individualized Education Program (IEP), or accommodations pursuant to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
My child cannot seem to sit still or focus on what is going on in class. He has a hard time finishing many of his homework assignments.
What are my options?
Law Offices of Michael D. Kaufman, PLLC